7 steps for adopting mobility in your organization
“In today’s modern world, people are either asleep or connected”- Janice H. Reinold, Rosetta Marketing
Enterprise Mobility… This term has grown contextual with time and has become synonymous to organization agility and a key indicator of its responsivenss.The behavioural attributes of the consumers clearly indicates distinct transition from web based to mobility based usage and brands globally are trying to tap into this.
Enterprise Mobility spectrum can be further categorized as:
• Productivity Apps like Sales Force Automation , Trello
• Customer Experience & Utility Apps like Uber, Cricinfo
• m-Commerce App like Amazon, Flipkart
• Others like Gamification App
The advent of iOT has opened plethora of possibilities for a Mobility Application and it has become one of the key orchestrator or node in a complex business process management flow.
While the need for mobility solutions is pretty much established, organizations still face challenges in implementing their Mobility framework and the points below tries to put a frame of reference for them.
1. Think Agile, Think Differently
One needs to conduct an extensive research before launching a product in the market. Framing a robust marketing strategy is pivotal and there should be a proper process for capturing the feedback of customers. Start with a Viable Product that can be launched quickly with a few core features. Take feedback from end users and keep on incorporating the suggestions. Manage the versions efficiently; make sure that the releases take place in a proper way.
2. User experience is Crucial
“People interact with their phones very differently than they do with their PCs, and I think that when you design from the ground up with mobile in mind, you create a very different product than going the other way”- Kevin Systrom, Instagram
Measure the convenience of your employees/team first. Frictionless on-boarding and a rich, simple user experience will go a long way in successful adoption. Following strategies should be kept in mind to make the employee’s life less complicated:
• Seamless Onboarding
• Single Sign-On
• Simple and Intuitive User Interface
• Response time and speed
• Cross-platform compatibility
• Ensure Smooth functioning with limited connectivity
• Over the air updates of your application
• Linking mobile app to existing database will ensure seamless integration and standardization
• BYOD (Bring your own device) policy
3. Employee Education and Training
Educating the team on the purpose and benefits of the solution from the beginning will make them feel a part of the implementation. Change is hard. Preparing them from the beginning to embrace the change will make it much easier for them to adap tthe new solutions during the time of launch.
Comprehensive training programs should be planned to make it easier for the users to work on the app. A user-friendly manual should be designed so that people can refer to it in case of problems.
4. Strong Post-Launch Support
The mobile ecosystem is very complex with numerous variables: multiple OS platforms, multiple screen sizes etc. Further users might need support in the field to resolve any teething issues and clarifications if any. Hence, hands-on support will be needed post-launch. A strong support process will also give them the impression that the organization is eager to provide the user with a favorable solution. Mobility solutions will help people to concentrate on primary activities as the secondary activities like accumulating data and generating reports will be taken care of by the application.
5. Security Speaks Volumes
“When considering the role of mobility in their enterprise, organizations need to first understand what role mobile devices will serve in their business, what business apps they wish to deliver to their employees, and what data is stored or made available on the devices”. - Sam Phillips, VP of Enterprise Security Services and CISO, Samsung
Security is one of the primary concerns of the management while deciding their mobility strategy. Security becomes more critical as confidential data is carried by the users to the field outside the office. Hence, strong security measures are paramount to get management buy-in. There are various security measures that can be implemented at the device, server, and network level:
• Use strong encryption before storing data on the device
• Permanently delete the data from the device once it is synced with the server
• Use SSL to ensure data is encrypted over the network
• Use Mobile Device Management solutions that allow administrators to enforce various security settings on the device. This is especially useful when organizations have BYOD policy.
• Have strong privilege based access control
• Ensure any images or data fetched directly from a mobile folder is hidden/protected so that it cannot be copied
6. Leverage an intuitive private app store
Presently organizations have multiple apps lined upor their various business processes. A private app store can solve the problems. This will streamline access based application discovery and the distribution process. Administrators can have a centralized system for managing all the apps. A private app store coupled with single sign-on and containerization can make the life of the users and administrators much simpler thereby enhancing the adoption rate.
7. Efficient Management will pave the way for success
Mobility solution comprises of three core components:
1. The device where the app runs from
2. The app itself
3. The content that is rendered on the app
Managing these 3 components seamlessly will lead to an appreciable growth in the rate of adoption. There are various products available that help theorganization achieve these objectives. They have together come to be known as Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). They are composed of the following items:
• Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution that helps remotely manage the device and troubleshoot issues remotely. It also helps secure the device access.
• Mobile Application Management Solution
• Mobile Content Management solution that provides a CMS to update content over the air.
Are you gearing up for mobile app adoption in your organization? Try out the steps listed above and let us know your opinions. Let us know how we can help.